Create Pro by MacFinder

Forums

OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

Home Create Pro Forums Products Desktops Mac Pro Mac Pro 2009-2012 OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

1 month, 1 week ago
  • This topic has 39 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated No Replies by AvatarMatty.
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi Charles, I’ve a couple of quick questions regarding your OC instructions.

I have a MacPro 5,1 refurb bought from Create Pro which is still going strong – great machine. It’s a 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with a RX 560 4 GB card. 

I’d like to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave using your link at the top of this thread but am not sure whether to use the SINGLE or DUAL file? How can I tell if I have a SINGLE or a DUAL socket system?

Then do I drag the whole GPU ACCELERATION folder into the OC Configurator along with the script? Or drag the EFI folder inside? 

Nearly there, does using the new shortcut Bless OpenCore script mean that I no longer have to swap the “Updates on” with the “Updates off” folder (and vice-versa) after I’ve updated to Catalina? I can’t see the Update On/Off files in the new shortcut OC folder. 

Finally, will this method only allow me to run Catalina or could I go straight to Big Sur? 

Thanks. 

Hi UncleRog

If you could use the single socket, GPU acceleration folder please.

It should go; EFI (partition) > EFI > BOOT / OC

Put the bless app in the EFI partition also and run it from there. You should not have to swap folders/

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles
      My 5,1 I got from you isn’t liking OpenCore and running two monitors. Got it all installed and upgraded to Catalina and both monitors were running.
      When I went to swap the EFI to the Dual Socket>Updates Off “EFI”, I lost my right monitor. I checked power supplies, cables etc so I went back to the Updates On “EFI”.
      Now when I try to boot up with just the right monitor in the left port, it won’t turn on either.
      If I plug the right monitor in the left port and the left monitor in the right port, I get the Catalina screen on the left monitor with no log in options, and the right monitor is still black.
      So now I’m just down to one monitor.
      Any ideas?

thanks
      Rob

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles,………. I intend to migrate to OpenCore. This is my machine configuration
      <p class=”p1″>Model Name: Mac Pro</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Model Identifier: MacPro5,1</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Number of Processors: 2</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Total Number of Cores: 12</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Memory: 64 GB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  SMC Version (system): 1.39f5</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5</p>
      <p class=”p1″> I used Patcher on a standard non-raid APFS drive and installed CATALINA 10.15.6 from MOJAVE 10.14.6  I then CarbonCopyClone ‘ed the drive to a pre-configured external PCie device with 2x</p>
      <p class=”p1″>Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB NVME that is configured as a RAID0 APFS and it worked and is very fast.</p>
      My question is can I create and use a RAID0 partition as My EFI boot device for OC?

Please see the attached Disk Utility output

Attachments:
    • Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi Charles,………. I intend to migrate to OpenCore. This is my machine configuration
      <p class=”p1″> I used Patcher on a standard non-raid APFS drive and installed CATALINA 10.15.6 from MOJAVE 10.14.6  I then CarbonCopyClone ‘ed the drive to a pre-configured external PCie device with 2x</p>
      <p class=”p1″>Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB NVME that is configured as a RAID0 APFS and it worked and is very fast.</p>
      My question is can I create and use a RAID0 partition as My EFI boot device for OC?

Hi Tom.

You may be able to use RAID if you use carbon copy to install macOS like you said, you could come in to issues when updating though. I have not tried opencore on a RAID setup but the installation should be the same, drop the EFI in the EFI partition of the RAID / one of the drives EFI folder.

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi,

I am running a very similar config booting from nvme on PCIe sonnet m.2 4×4 with 2TB boot drive and 3 1tb NVME in raid config. Works amazing. Looking to upgrade to Catalina to get the RX 580 speed improvements.  From what I have read so far it seems like the open core install is done on the internal SATA.

Is it possible to do the open core install successfully on the PCIe boot drive?

I also noticed you mentioned “I used Patcher on a standard non-raid APFS drive and installed CATALINA 10.15.6 from MOJAVE 10.14.6” What were you referring to when you said “patcher”?

Thanks for the help and all your research.

My specs below:
      <p class=”p1″>Mac Pro</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz</p>

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

For this script to work you have to disable the SIP.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

When installing OpenCore you no longer have to boot into recovery to bless the drive, you can drop this script into the EFI partition with the opencore EFI and run it. This will bless the drive for you.

https://mega.nz/folder/w9IWHLCA#xK494IHd9OPpnexrZPjiGA

Credits to: h9826790 & CDF on the Macrumors forum.

If you have a quad or six core processor, use the single socket option, if you have a 8 core (2 x quad) or 12 core (2 x 6 core) use the dual socket option.

For AMD graphics cards that support metal such as the AMD RX 560, 580, 590 or VEGA models you can use the GPU acceleration EFI.

The strucrture should be: EFI (partition) > EFI > BOOT / OC

If anyone needs help installing just let me know.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarCharles.

Good Day, Charles, my name is Craig and I am hoping you can direct me to step-by-step instructions on how to set up my 2009 Mac Pro (updated to 5,1) for Open Core. I’m an “old dog” who has been amazed at how much new life I’ve been able to breathe into my old system but I need someone to spoon feed me a bit with every necessary step.

Here’s what I have:

5,1 system currently running Mojave.

64gb RAM

upgraded to (2) delidded X5690  3.46ghz CPUs – working great

RX580 8gb, NOT Mac flashed (so I don’t have boot screen, recovery mode, safe mode, etc.)

I am willing to spend however long it takes to make this transition work, but get nervous with Terminal commands, running scripts, etc. – I don’t have much experience with that and would hate to brick my much-needed FCP system.

Any help pointing me toward a comprehensive dumbed-down process to get from where I am to the end of the rainbow would be much appreciated!

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

For this script to work you have to disable the SIP.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

When installing OpenCore you no longer have to boot into recovery to bless the drive, you can drop this script into the EFI partition with the opencore EFI and run it. This will bless the drive for you.

https://mega.nz/folder/w9IWHLCA#xK494IHd9OPpnexrZPjiGA

Credits to: h9826790 & CDF on the Macrumors forum.

If you have a quad or six core processor, use the single socket option, if you have a 8 core (2 x quad) or 12 core (2 x 6 core) use the dual socket option.

For AMD graphics cards that support metal such as the AMD RX 560, 580, 590 or VEGA models you can use the GPU acceleration EFI.

The strucrture should be: EFI (partition) > EFI > BOOT / OC

If anyone needs help installing just let me know.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarCharles.

Good Day, Charles, my name is Craig and I am hoping you can direct me to step-by-step instructions on how to set up my 2009 Mac Pro (updated to 5,1) for Open Core. I’m an “old dog” who has been amazed at how much new life I’ve been able to breathe into my old system but I need someone to spoon feed me a bit with every necessary step.

Here’s what I have:

5,1 system currently running Mojave.

64gb RAM

upgraded to (2) delidded X5690  3.46ghz CPUs – working great

RX580 8gb, NOT Mac flashed (so I don’t have boot screen, recovery mode, safe mode, etc.)

I am willing to spend however long it takes to make this transition work, but get nervous with Terminal commands, running scripts, etc. – I don’t have much experience with that and would hate to brick my much-needed FCP system.

Any help pointing me toward a comprehensive dumbed-down process to get from where I am to the end of the rainbow would be much appreciated!

Hi Craig.

I am aiming to have an updated video by next week with clearer instructions and the most recent version of opencore , just need to do some more testing.

Charles.

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles, I am new on MAC, when I try to bless I am receiving a message: Can’t staffs /volumes/efi/efi/opencore.efi.

I have downloaded and copied Dual Socket, standard, to the Mojave EFI boot partition, as my MAC is a 5,1 with 2×6 Core processors.

Could you help me on what I am doing wrong. Thanks a lot in advance.

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Big Sur 11.3.1 update and Open Core.

There might be some nice bug in the installer itself. If you are stuck in a reboot loop on the update or on the progress bar stuck, just keep restarting and it should finish the update on one of them. On 2 occasions it was after the 4th attempt and the second one after 11 attempts.

Next update should fix it.

Join the ultimate Mac Pro community

High Performance MacBook Pros

Is it time to upgrade your portable workstation?

• Save over 20% from retail
  • Huge range of models to choose from
  • Up to 3 years warranty
Upgrade Today

Configure Your Mac Pro

Build the Mac Pro you need from the ground up

• Built bespoke to your needs
  • Industry leading 3 year warranty
  • Refurbished and built by our certified technicians
Configure Your Mac Pro