Create Pro by MacFinder

Forums

OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

Home Create Pro Forums Products Desktops Mac Pro Mac Pro 2009-2012 OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

3 hours, 8 minutes ago
  • This topic has 37 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated No Replies by AvatarLaerte.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Hi

I’m looking to update my Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012, 3.46 ghx 6-core intel xeon / 24Gb DDR3 / Radeon RX560) from Mojave to Catalina. I’ve read your instructions and watched the video and am confused about the EFI business – I need to go through that process for my card to work, is that right ? And this opensource configurator (assuming I’m very backed up of course !) puts Catalina on a hard drive without it being a Clean Install, yes ?

I had trouble getting this machine to Mojave, via the Dosdude patcher but my computer didn’t want to start up in recovery mode but I got there in the end. Would this route be better than the dosdude route ? It sounds easier…

Any advice about how to take this next leap gratefully received !

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi

I’m looking to update my Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012, 3.46 ghx 6-core intel xeon / 24Gb DDR3 / Radeon RX560) from Mojave to Catalina. I’ve read your instructions and watched the video and am confused about the EFI business – I need to go through that process for my card to work, is that right ? And this opensource configurator (assuming I’m very backed up of course !) puts Catalina on a hard drive without it being a Clean Install, yes ?

I had trouble getting this machine to Mojave, via the Dosdude patcher but my computer didn’t want to start up in recovery mode but I got there in the end. Would this route be better than the dosdude route ? It sounds easier…

Hi, I can help with this, if you download this package it has all the files required.

https://mega.nz/file/Q84GEYDT#MEPOuNV7M2nZpNmiL63BYVEAcQoOvrzO9yl7Sko0znA

Basically first of all you will need to run opencore configurator then head to Tools>Mount EFI.

This will open a new window and in the second half shows EFI partitions. Identify your boot drive and mount the partition.

Once you have the partition open in finder, drag and drop the folder named EFI which is under – SINGLE SOCKET>GPU ACCELERATION.

Also drop in the Bless OpenCore Script and then run the script.

Once this is complete you will be able to restart.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Hi

Hi, I can help with this, if you download this package it has all the files required.

https://mega.nz/file/Q84GEYDT#MEPOuNV7M2nZpNmiL63BYVEAcQoOvrzO9yl7Sko0znA

Basically first of all you will need to run opencore configurator then head to Tools>Mount EFI.

This will open a new window and in the second half shows EFI partitions. Identify your boot drive and mount the partition.

Once you have the partition open in finder, drag and drop the folder named EFI which is under – SINGLE SOCKET>GPU ACCELERATION.

Also drop in the Bless OpenCore Script and then run the script.

Once this is complete you will be able to restart.

I’ll give that a go Charles. Many thanks

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hello

I have been attempting to update my Mac Pro 5.1 (Dual Socket 6 Core 3.5ghz x5690) with 128gb ram, GT 710 GPU to Catalina as well from Mojave. I downloaded and followed your steps for the Open Core configurator. I did the Dual Socket option with gpu Acceleration. When I run the Bless open core automator script, it gives me an error.
      <p class=”p1″>The action “Run AppleScript” encountered an error: “Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002e2”</p>

My boot drive is in a PCIE slot, would this be causing the problem since it sees it as external?

Can you help me with this?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarKECreations.
    • Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hello

I have been attempting to update my Mac Pro 5.1 (Dual Socket 6 Core 3.5ghz x5690) with 128gb ram, GT 710 GPU to Catalina as well from Mojave. I downloaded and followed your steps for the Open Core configurator. I did the Dual Socket option with gpu Acceleration. When I run the Bless open core automator script, it gives me an error.
      <p class=”p1″>The action “Run AppleScript” encountered an error: “Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002e2”</p>

My boot drive is in a PCIE slot, would this be causing the problem since it sees it as external?

With Further Troubleshooting I was able to get past this noted error, but ran into other issues afterwards. I realized that my SIP was enabled, so I booted into recovery and disabled (csrutil disable), and retried the process, and successfully ran the bless script without error.

Now when I restart my mac, it will not boot properly. I hear the chime, and it just hangs with no signs of coming back.

If I clear nvram (Command+Option+P+R) I can get it to come back up to the regular Mojave boot, but this resets the “bless drive boot location”

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hello

With Further Troubleshooting I was able to get past this noted error, but ran into other issues afterwards. I realized that my SIP was enabled, so I booted into recovery and disabled (csrutil disable), and retried the process, and successfully ran the bless script without error.

Now when I restart my mac, it will not boot properly. I hear the chime, and it just hangs with no signs of coming back.

If I clear nvram (Command+Option+P+R) I can get it to come back up to the regular Mojave boot, but this resets the “bless drive boot location”

Hey, can you trey blessing the drive using the standard approach? You have to Identify the disk in terminal for example and run this command from terminal in recovery. bless –mount /Volumes/EFI –setBoot

May be worth trying the standard rather than GPU acceleration install as that is intended for AMD GPUS, apologies it is a pretty general config. I’m betting this is your issue though as you are using a Nvidia card.

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

There is a very simple difference between the two profiles actually. GPU on just has the SMBIOS update enabled so I am unsure if this will help with your Nvidia card but worth a go. I do not have one at home with me to test unfortunately I did not add the mod to enable PCIe drives to be shown as internal actually which is why that is the case.

Having a chime and not seeing anything is a sign of driver error so please try the standard config, if the does not work let me know please ands I’ll see what I can do.

Charles,

Would you happen to have an updated file for 0.6.4 I can download?

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

hi create pro team,

installed your open core packages. when i open open core i become a window with ” boot loader looks like it is not installed    or your NVRAM is not nativ.  A restart in Recovery Mode does not work..its like a normal start of my system.

I am using a Mac Pro  4.1  with Mojave 10.14.6 on a Samsung  NVME !

Modellname: Mac Pro

Modell-Identifizierung: MacPro5,1

Prozessortyp: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,33 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 2

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 12

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache (pro Prozessor): 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technologie: Aktiviert

Speicher: 32 GB

Boot-ROM-Version: 144.0.0.0.0

SMC-Version (System): 1.39f5

SMC-Version (Prozessormodul): 1.39f5

Seriennummer (System): CK0020EWE1C

Seriennummer (Prozessormodul): J5949003WBXZA     

Hardware-UUID: 130542BE-D947-53D6-80F6-E6AD9C618760

Radeon RX 580:

Chipsatz-Modell: Radeon RX 580

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Steckplatz: Slot-1

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 8 GB

Hersteller: AMD (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x67df

Versions-ID: 0x00e7

Metal: Unterstützt, Funktionsset macOS GPUFamily2 v1

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

…the last link Don´t work. !   the file is no longer available !

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Installed today on a create.pro machine. Works ok except that my sonnet allegro usb-c care wont work at all. Any ideas how to get this sorted?

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Installed today on a create.pro machine. Works ok except that my sonnet allegro usb-c care wont work at all. Any ideas how to get this sorted?

Hi.

That is odd, what version of macOS are you running?

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles, I’ve a couple of quick questions regarding your OC instructions.

I have a MacPro 5,1 refurb bought from Create Pro which is still going strong – great machine. It’s a 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with a RX 560 4 GB card. 

I’d like to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave using your link at the top of this thread but am not sure whether to use the SINGLE or DUAL file? How can I tell if I have a SINGLE or a DUAL socket system?

Then do I drag the whole GPU ACCELERATION folder into the OC Configurator along with the script? Or drag the EFI folder inside? 

Nearly there, does using the new shortcut Bless OpenCore script mean that I no longer have to swap the “Updates on” with the “Updates off” folder (and vice-versa) after I’ve updated to Catalina? I can’t see the Update On/Off files in the new shortcut OC folder. 

Finally, will this method only allow me to run Catalina or could I go straight to Big Sur? 

Thanks. 

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles

How do I know if I have a dual or single socket?

Join the ultimate Mac Pro community

High Performance MacBook Pros

Is it time to upgrade your portable workstation?

• Save over 20% from retail
  • Huge range of models to choose from
  • Up to 3 years warranty
Upgrade Today

Configure Your Mac Pro

Build the Mac Pro you need from the ground up

• Built bespoke to your needs
  • Industry leading 3 year warranty
  • Refurbished and built by our certified technicians
Configure Your Mac Pro