Create Pro by MacFinder

Forums

OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

Home Create Pro Forums Products Desktops Mac Pro Mac Pro 2009-2012 OpenCore for 5,1 Mac Pros

2 months, 2 weeks ago
  • This topic has 39 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated No Replies by AvatarMatty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

For this script to work you have to disable the SIP.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

When installing OpenCore you no longer have to boot into recovery to bless the drive, you can drop this script into the EFI partition with the opencore EFI and run it. This will bless the drive for you.

https://mega.nz/folder/w9IWHLCA#xK494IHd9OPpnexrZPjiGA

Credits to: h9826790 & CDF on the Macrumors forum.

If you have a quad or six core processor, use the single socket option, if you have a 8 core (2 x quad) or 12 core (2 x 6 core) use the dual socket option.

For AMD graphics cards that support metal such as the AMD RX 560, 580, 590 or VEGA models you can use the GPU acceleration EFI.

The strucrture should be: EFI (partition) > EFI > BOOT / OC

If anyone needs help installing just let me know.

• This topic was modified 9 months ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarCharles.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles,

It looks like Mega link to the script isn’t working. Do you know of anywhere else I can grab this?

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Did you try the 0.6.3 version? Look like it is causing issues with thunderbolt.

Hi Charles,

It looks like Mega link to the script isn’t working. Do you know of anywhere else I can grab this?

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hello Charles,

When you write, drop the “Bless OpenCore App” in the EFI partition and run it – do you mean that the system will run the script when it reads the EFI at startup?

Thank you – George.

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi George,

The bless app is just to set the EFI folder (opencore) as the default boot option. You only need to ru. this once.

hi can you send here the link for opencore to the latest version 0.6.3, because the last one don’t work

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi George,

The bless app is just to set the EFI folder (opencore) as the default boot option. You only need to ru. this once.

Hello Charles,
      It is likely that I have not done something correctly when I tried to enable graphics acceleration on my system.

I’m on a 2012 MacPro5,1, 3.46GHz 6core, 32 MB RAM, 960GB NVME SSD and RX480 with 8GB RAM. I have installed OC as per your tutorial and written instructions. It works great with Big Sur, nice to be able to run the current MacOS on my system, it was running Mojave, up to a few days ago.

I switched the EFI over to the one with the acceleration and restarted the system. All is well except that the “VideoProc” does not see my RX480. I have attached a snap shot of the result.

Could you please advise?

Thank you – George.

Attachments:
    • Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi George,

Hello Charles,
      It is likely that I have not done something correctly when I tried to enable graphics acceleration on my system.

I’m on a 2012 MacPro5,1, 3.46GHz 6core, 32 MB RAM, 960GB NVME SSD and RX480 with 8GB RAM. I have installed OC as per your tutorial and written instructions. It works great with Big Sur, nice to be able to run the current MacOS on my system, it was running Mojave, up to a few days ago.

I switched the EFI over to the one with the acceleration and restarted the system. All is well except that the “VideoProc” does not see my RX480. I have attached a snap shot of the result.

Could you please advise?

Thank you – George.

Hi George,

To be honest I have not tested it on the RX 480, this week if I have a RX 4XX series card I will test this for you.

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi George,

Hello Charles,

Could you please advise?

Thank you – George.

Hi George,

To be honest I have not tested it on the RX 480, this week if I have a RX 4XX series card I will test this for you.

Hello Charles,

That would have been very kind indeed. Further on this issue, the following may be of interest to you in this regard. As indicated, I was installing BigSur on the NVME SSD – it is on the NVME-EFI where I tried to enable the graphics acceleration (GA) – which did not work. Tried a few times. I read somewhere that people complaind about installing OC on an NVME.

I also have a Samsung (SATA) 860 EVO  and when I installed Mojave and OC on that one, the graphics acceleration works as described by you. Installing BigSur on the EVO was a breeze as well. Go figure, I can enable and disable GA at will. I am not really using GA and will be running BigSur on the NVME. Hope there will not be any other drawbacks.

I am not sure why that would be the case, unless there is something funny with the Apple’s NVME firmware version.

Hope this helps, regards –  George.

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Thanks George.

Could be a Big Sur thing, I’ll get it booted this afternoon and take a look for you, as far as I know it is not an issue being on NVMe in Mojave and Catalina.

Join the ultimate Mac Pro community

High Performance MacBook Pros

Is it time to upgrade your portable workstation?

• Save over 20% from retail
  • Huge range of models to choose from
  • Up to 3 years warranty
Upgrade Today

Configure Your Mac Pro

Build the Mac Pro you need from the ground up

• Built bespoke to your needs
  • Industry leading 3 year warranty
  • Refurbished and built by our certified technicians
Configure Your Mac Pro