Create Pro by MacFinder

Forums

Anyone running 10.15 on their 5,1?

Home Create Pro Forums Mac macOS Catalina 10.15 Anyone running 10.15 on their 5,1?

5 months, 1 week ago
  • This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated No Replies by AvatarCharles.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
      Down
      Mac User

Just wondered what people’s experiences were with updating and running Catalina on a 5,1 using the patch that is available from Dos Dude or similar? I updated my Graphics card from Create Pro and now run Mojave which seems very stable but there are a couple of very small irritations I have that not all iOS synchronicity work unless you have Catalina.

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Hi, yes it can be done. WiFi may be an issue though, unless you have an updated WiFi card like a AC version the standard wifi card for the 5,1 is no longer supported unfortunately.

Do you have another Mac that does support Catalina?

Which iOS features are not synchronising correctly?

• Up
      Down
      Mac User

Hi Charles, thanks for the feedback. I don’t have a an updated Wifi card but I that wouldn’t be deal breaker as the machine is connected to the router via ethernet.

I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro running Catalina

I have noticed some oddities with ‘Calendar’ across my devices which may or may not be related but the main one is ‘Reminders’ I know it’s small and limited app but I have organised my life around ‘to do’ lists on reminders and that simply won’t sync in Mojave. I believe the app itself is now buggy as I had a number of shared lists with my wife which are unreliable in ios13. I appreciate there are other 3rd party options but between Adobe, Apple, Squarespace, Dropbox, Wetransfer etc etc etc I am really loathed to pay yet another subscription.

• Up
      Down
      Create Pro Staff

Ah okay, I haven’t noticed them myself but if you do want to give Catalina a try it is quite simple now you have an already supported model.

You can connect an external drive to your 16″ MBP and install Catalina to it. Boot in to recovery or an external macOS USB installer on the MP (not Catalina), disable the SIP and boot back in to Mojave.

Back in your Mojave drive launch Terminal again and type:
      sudo nvram boot-args=“-no_compat_check” followed by return and your password.

You can then chuck the Catalina drive in the MP and boot.

Yeah, you should not have to, the built in apps can be very good, obviously when working correctly.

Join the ultimate Mac Pro community

High Performance MacBook Pros

Is it time to upgrade your portable workstation?

• Save over 20% from retail
  • Huge range of models to choose from
  • Up to 3 years warranty
Upgrade Today

Configure Your Mac Pro

Build the Mac Pro you need from the ground up

• Built bespoke to your needs
  • Industry leading 3 year warranty
  • Refurbished and built by our certified technicians
Configure Your Mac Pro